Pros and Cons of Using an Old Box as a Router

Author: Craig Brooksby
To: PLUG-discuss
Subject: Pros and Cons of Using an Old Box as a Router
Hi all -- seeking advice / pointers to where I can read up... my two
questions are numbered, below.

My home network is through a D-Link wireless router, to the Cox cable
modem. It works fine -- I am not an expert. For security, I did
stuff like the following:

1) Turned WEP on, at 128-bit
2) Turned on filtering by Mac address
3) Added WPA-PSK authentication.

The router seems to be able to do more -- firewall stuff, etc. At the
same time, I know people use old boxes + Linux to do all these things.
So here's what I'm wondering:

1) Are there clear reasons why running an old box + Linux as a router
/ firewall / etc. is *better* than just using the features in the
little $60 router? (I mean, the *fan noise alone* from this old box
is enough to tilt the scales for me :-)

2) Do people plug in Wi-Fi adapters into the old box and use it to
control a wireless network? Or is all that better left to the D-Link?
I ask because my son's Win XP box is currently wireless.

I want to learn more about networks. I am resourceful and like new
challenges, but if such things are better left to people with long,
deep experience / formal training -- network "engineers" and people
who relax by readin manpages -- please advise.

Thanks -- Craig