Re: Opening an app launches four instances of it

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Opening an app launches four instances of it
On Monday 14 February 2005 15:21, Mike Garfias wrote:
> `strace <command>`
>
> strace will output to stderr, so redirect that to a file: strace command
> 2> /tmp/trace.txt
>
> Then look at the trace when you're done. Start at the top, and work down,
> look for something like 'open' or 'exec', its been awhile so I can't be
> completely sure what you'd want to look for.

I tried your suggestion. I got so much information I can't make heads or tales
of it.

If I open Maelstrom from a shell by typing "Maelstrom" (w/out quotes), I get
one instance of it, like it should be. I typed:
strace Maelstrom /tmp/trace.txt
and got a ton of output, and one instance of the game.

But if I use the application launcher from the KDE taskbar, or use the KDE
menu, I get multiple instances of it, and I don't know how to see what's
going on when that happens.

My menu entry for Maelstrom has used the path /usr/games/Maelstrom and also
just Maelstrom. Either way, when I click on the menu entry I get multiple
instances of it, but that doesn't happen when I open it from a shell.

Siri Amrit