Re: Next Bash Problem

Author: Nathan England
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Next Bash Problem
On Sunday 13 February 2005 01:36, der.hans wrote:
> Am 12. Feb, 2005 schwätzte Nathan England so:

> > > finish the loop adding all the files, then run gzip or bzip2 on the
> > > final tar file.
> >
> > That works, but then I don't get the progress dialog... Defeats the
> > purpose. I am using zip instead, it works on the fly and appends to the
> > compressed archives, so it works okay.
>
> Well, I think that if you keep appending to a zipped archive you have
> to unzip it, add the something and rezip it, so that becomes quite the
> computative burdon.
>
> Look at the -v option of bzip and see if that'll help you get a progress
> bar. I would think you could at least put up a cylon-mode 'progress is
> being made' bar.
>
> How are using kdialog? No man page :(. Nothing in
> /usr/share/doc/kdebase-bin/ :(. Nothing comes up when searching the KDE
> manual :(.
>
> BTW, you also might want to add a -p to your cp.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Check out this page,
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/kdialog/t1.html

It is all about kdialog. I use it for quite a bit, I really like it.
I'm not reusing the same zip file over and over again, but in order to copy
files and compress them I essentially have to append the files to a zip.
I need to do it one file at a time so I can have dcop report to kdialog that a
progress has been made. If you want, I'll send you my script so you can look
over it. I've found a few problems with it, but for the most part, it works
really good.

nathan