Re: Next Bash Problem

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Next Bash Problem
Am 12. Feb, 2005 schwätzte Nathan England so:

> On Saturday 12 February 2005 13:30, Kevin Brown wrote:
> > Nathan England wrote:
> > > Okay, I've got it copying files...
> > > But using the same method, is there a way to compress the files on the
> > > fly? I need it to append each file to a tar archive, which is simple, but
> > > when I introduce the compression, it doesn't work.
> > >
> > > find . | tee output
> > > while read file ; do
> > > ??? compress tar command ???
> > > done < output
> > >
> > > How would I do this?
> > >
> > > just doing:
> > > tar -rf "$file" $TMP/backup/stuff.tar
> > >
> > > works great. But if I use a gz or bz2 file it just errors. Is this even
> > > possible?
> > >
> > > I can get it to work with .zip, but I'd prefer bz2.
> >
> > finish the loop adding all the files, then run gzip or bzip2 on the final
> > tar file.
>
> That works, but then I don't get the progress dialog... Defeats the purpose.
> I am using zip instead, it works on the fly and appends to the compressed
> archives, so it works okay.

Well, I think that if you keep appending to a zipped archive you have
to unzip it, add the something and rezip it, so that becomes quite the
computative burdon.

Look at the -v option of bzip and see if that'll help you get a progress
bar. I would think you could at least put up a cylon-mode 'progress is
being made' bar.

How are using kdialog? No man page :(. Nothing in
/usr/share/doc/kdebase-bin/ :(. Nothing comes up when searching the KDE
manual :(.

BTW, you also might want to add a -p to your cp.

ciao,

der.hans
#  When you are tired of choosing the lesser of two evils,
#  Vote Cthulhu for President!