Re: 678 setup

Author: June Tate
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: 678 setup
On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 13:39 -0700, der.hans wrote:
>Am 09. Feb, 2005 schwätzte Craig White so:

>> 38400 works fine for reading from the DSL modem.
>
>For reading, but apparently not for writing.

If you're reading the data from the modem, then most likely you can
write as well -- probably just an oddball communications setting. I've
used minicom to administer Cisco 678's before, so I'm pretty sure that
it's not minicom that's munching on your C-c and enter keys.

>> I presume that means that you can get it login, so keyboard works and
>> you can issue commands such as 'show run' and 'write' and 'reboot'
>
>It stalls before getting to the login prompt and asks me to hit <enter>,
>but doesn't respond when I do so.

Sounds a bit like a flow control problem.

>> It's possible that a control - C break is swallowed/altered by com
>> program
>
>That's what I thought, so I tried kermit after minicom didn't work then
>tried them both in an xterm w/o being in screen.
>
>In all cases I powered off the DSL and restarted it to make sure it wasn't
>horked from the previous session.
>
>I haven't ruled out that it's operator induced, but I think I'm doing
>things correctly.

What are your flow control settings set for? IIRC, the Cisco cable
you're using should require flow control to be turned off.

--
June Tate * * http://www.theonelab.com