Re: Setting up a personal web server

+ (text/html)
Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Setting up a personal web server
Miles,
    What are you planning to run this server on, and how heavily to you
expect to be hitting it?

A couple of generic suggestions include:
Slackware (10.1 just released) <http://www.slackware.org/> is fairly
simple, and works great as a server.
TinySofa <http://www.tinysofa.org/> is a server-centric distribution.
FreeBSD(or OpenBSD) if you're feeling particularly adventurous.
<http://www.freebsd.org/> or <http://www.openbsd.org/>
Mepis will probably have a lot of extra services activated by default,
but it's install is a breeze, and it usually "just works" right off.
            <http://www.mepis.org/ and
http://ftp.wustl.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/SimplyMEPIS-2004.06.iso>

For smaller/simpler distributions (say, you're wanting to run this on
older or cheaper hardware)
Puppy Linux <http://www.goosee.com/puppy/> is a really small,
exceptionally simple, distribution that usually "just works" with older
systems.
BeatrIX Linux <http://www.watsky.net/> is another small, simple
distribution that often works really well on newer low-cost hardware.

I assumed you aren't trying to run a PPC box, if you are, then check
Yellow Dog Linux <http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/>

==Joseph++