Re: Secure PDF creation (solution found)

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: Secure PDF creation (solution found)
On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 17:16, Bart Garst wrote:
> For one of my paychecks I tutor college students via e-mail. As you can
> imagine, most students are perfectly happy to copy an example I send them
> and turn it in as their own work.
>
> Up until today I thought sending examples in PDF format (created with
> openoffice) would prevent the copy & paste problem. However, the Adobe free
> PDF reader allows you to select and copy as if you were using a plain text
> file (I didn't know that before today). I don't care if they retype my
> example (at least I know they've read it), it's the copy & paste I'm trying
> to prevent.
>
> I can create a password protected PDF with PDFCreator (Win32 only). What I
> want is a free linux solution.
>
> I'm looking into "pdftk" but I'd like to know if any of you know of other
> options.

(In case anyone else was interested)

"pdftk" does exactly what I'm looking for. It can revoke or grant
privileges (printing, copying, modification, screen readers, ...) as
well as quite a few other useful pdf-manipulation things.

It's a command line app, so it's a bit more elegant that converting my
text to an image, then to a pdf (thanks for the suggestion Craig).

Bart