RE: how to disable debian from booting into X

Author: Bart Garst
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: how to disable debian from booting into X

> How can you configure debian so it does not load X at boot, I have
> been editing inittab but no go so far.
>

> I am trying to install the nvidia driver so what would also work is
> shutting down X I have been ps aux to see what is running to Kill X
> but that does not work either.
>

> Jim

Both of the two previous responses are almost correct. With debian, 'init 3'
will put you into X. You'll need to use 'init 1'.

Adding "ro single" (no quotes) to the kernel line in your menu.lst file will
boot you into run level 1. The previous replies already covered how to get
to 'init 1' with lilo or from a console.

It's worth mentioning that 'init 1' has no networking. It'll save you a bit
of trouble if you do `sh NVIDIA*.run --no-network`

Bart