Re: how to disable debian from booting into X

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: how to disable debian from booting into X
On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 21:51 -0700, Jim B wrote:
> How can you configure debian so it does not load X at boot, I have
> been editing inittab but no go so far.
>

> I am trying to install the nvidia driver so what would also work is
> shutting down X I have been ps aux to see what is running to Kill X
> but that does not work either.

----
you should be able to get to text console by pressing <Control><Alt><F2>
and then init 1 (or 3) - on redhat runlevel 1 is single user and
runlevel 3 is mult-user text mode

Either should knock down X sessions

More specific to your question, you should be able to temporarily modify
boot parameters in grub by selecting which kernel you intend to boot
with the up/down arrow keys and pressing 'e' to edit, pressing 'e' to
edit the line with the kernel reference and appending either 'linux 1'
or 'linux 3' or whatever per above to change the runlevel on this boot
and edit /etc/inittab to change the 'default runlevel' simlilarly for
all subsequent booting.

Craig