Re: Running hdparm command at boot

Author: Steven
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Running hdparm command at boot
There's not much to present, except this url:

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

I just followed the advice on this site and got some good results.

Thanks for the info on the location of the rc.local file, Eric; I found it,
added the command and after a reboot it seems to be working. Not as great an
increase in performance as I found earlier, but it seems to vary quite a bit.
Here's my latest benchmarks:

[root@ip68-2-116-4 ~]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
Timing cached reads: 424 MB in 2.01 seconds = 211.08 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 42 MB in 3.01 seconds = 13.94 MB/sec
[root@ip68-2-116-4 ~]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
Timing cached reads: 416 MB in 2.00 seconds = 207.72 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 60 MB in 3.11 seconds = 19.27 MB/sec
[root@ip68-2-116-4 ~]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
Timing cached reads: 420 MB in 2.01 seconds = 209.09 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.07 seconds = 20.86 MB/sec

These three instances were run consecutively, so you can appreciate the
variance. I imagine it's due to a variety of processes running in the
background, I haven't exactly performed a 'clean' benchmark with minimal
processes running.