Re: More networking fun

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: More networking fun
On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 21:20 -0700, Bryce C wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:36:53 -0700, Lee Einer <> wrote:
> > If I haven't made my appreciation clear, let me take this opportunity to
> > say THANKS, Craig, for patiently helping me out with my networking
> > questions.
> >
> > Ever the one to continue taking advantage, I have one more question-
> >
> > I found once I got it all together and place an entry in my /etc/fstab
> > file so the network directory would mount on my laptop at startup, that
> > it causes my laptop to hang for quite awhile on reboot. I decided that
> > since I will be needing to access this directory only occasionally for
> > backup purposes at present, I did not want it to automount at boot, but
> > would rather do it manually. But not too manually. I want to manage it
> > with a shell script which I can invoke by clicking a desktop icon when
> > needed.
> >
> > Writing the script was no biggie, nor was making it executable or
> > creating the desktop icon. The hitch in the giddyup is that the mount
> > command must be run as root, and whereas that is no problem if invoking
> > the script from a terminal by its pathname, I have no idea how to set it
> > up so that I get a prompt for root password when running the script with
> > an icon. Putting "su" into the script is no good, it seems, as the su
> > command must be run from a terminal, and Linux is fetishistic enough in
> > its security measures that it ignores attempts to suid a shell script.
> >
> > Any ideas? I have googled relentlessly, and while I found a few
> > suggestions online, none of them proved viable in this circumstance.

> See fstab options "noauto" and "user" (or "users")
> noauto = do not automount entry at boot. This will allow you to keep
> the line in fstab for easy and quick mounting.
> user = allow non-root user to mount. This is the only user (except for
> the superuser, root) that can umount the volume)
> users = same as above, except any user, not just the one to mount it,
> may umount it.
> With that in mind, keep the original entry adding "noauto" and one of
> the user[s]. Your desktop shortcut only needs to execute "mount
> /path/to/mountpoint"

----
I like this solution best. Jeremy was solving issue with script. This
solves issue of mounting as user.

Perhaps a little thought to 'hang at startup' is in order. Two reasons
come to mind:
- /etc/hosts in Mandrakebox is wrong and when Mepisbox tries to connect,
Mandrakebox looks in /etc/hosts and doesn't match Mepisbox to the ip
address it is using, so it then tries to figure out who Mepisbox is by
doing a dns query and I would bet that /etc/resolv.conf is using
external name server from ISP which takes a while to check and of
course, external name server is of no help so Mandrakebox finally
decides, OK, I can't verify computer but allows connection anyway (hence
the delay)
or
- Firewall on Mandrakebox is blocking stuff...
doing a search on internet, it appears that you should have tcp & udp
open for both ports 2049 and 111 - you probably want to make one more
adjustment to your firewall.

Craig