RE: terminal dimming

Author: Bart Garst
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: terminal dimming

> Greetings,
>
> I have a Dell (Sony) Trinitron 21" monitor that has
> been running 24 hours a day since I bought it in March,
> 2000. It's a great monitor, or at least it was. The
> colors are starting to look faded (is that possible, or
> is that just in contrast to slick flat screen monitor
> on my iMac?), and images of my default desktop setup
> are visibly burned into the tube. I'm certain that the
> device must be on its last legs by now.
>
> Nonetheless, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has
> experienced the following problem: For the last two
> weeks my terminal has been periodically dimming as
> though it was going into some powersave mode. It's not
> so dim as to be beyond use, but nearly so. It fades
> away spontaneously over a period of about 10 seconds,
> and then stays that way for *hours*, then comes back up
> to full brightness (such as it is) for a while. (Often
> while I am away and not using it.)
>
> I'm running SuSE Linux 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4, as
> installed). I don't *think* I inadvertently set
> anything in the power management or screensaver setups
> that would have triggered such a phenomenon through
> software, but that it's just a case of my hardware
> getting old and nigh unto needing replacement.
>
> Has anyone here experienced such a thing and have
> insight into what I might check just to be sure?

I experienced something similar, only mine didn't fade, it flickered.

It too was a Sony Trinitron and was about 6-7 years old (not run 24/7
though).

It wasn't until the flicker coincided with sparks that I realized the
monitor needed replacing.

Color fades with time, but the screen dimming sounds a bit more sinister to
me. I'd start shopping for a replacement if my monitor was doing that.

Bart