WiFi piracy?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: WiFi piracy?
On Monday 31 January 2005 08:18 pm, Ric Fischer wrote:

> Incidentally, where does PLUG stand on the issue of piracy as it
> relates to wifi? (I'm not a pirate and my own wifi is locked down. :-)

Well, since PLUG is not an entity, it has no stand. PLUG members may take
stands, however. And, as we see in the list, many do take stands on various
topics!

First off I don't like the term piracy as it blurs the true legal definition
of various illegal acts. The original definition of the word has to do with
ships and the high seas. Recently it is usually associated with copyright
infringement and that is incorrect, IMO. So I am not sure you can apply
piracy to using another's wifi.

IMO using someone's bandwidth without permission is stealing. The phone line
for one of my neighbors actually comes out of my junction box and is buried
on my property. (My lines are newer.) Is it OK to patch my home phone into
my neighbor's phone line and use that, as long as he is not using it? It's
on my property and he'd never know, if I am careful. Despite the fact that
wifi is different because physical access to a line is not needed and the
electromagnetic waves are passing over my property, I have a hard time
justifying taking bandwidth paid for by another. Ethically I think it is
wrong and I would not do it.

My opinion is not to be construed to be in accord with the spirit or letter of
any current law. I have no idea of the actual legal status of using
someone's wifi without their permission.

Alan