crontab editor (was Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apolo…

Author: Alex LeDonne
To: plug-discuss
Subject: crontab editor (was Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apologize)
> From: Kurt Granroth <>

> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:36:08 -0700
>
> On Jan 25, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 06:22 -0800, Michael wrote:
> >> No comment!!! I even use kvim when I am desperate..
> >
> > don't know kvim (presume it's a KDE version of vi) but I use vi

when
> > I'm desperate myself. ;-)
> >
> > crontab - visudo and some others seem to force the issue. Also when
> > I use IPCOP routers (used to use smoothwall but ipcop is way

cooler)
> > as they seem to ignore the fact that emacs is better ;-)
>
> Well, I'm a huge fan of vi (vim, specifically) and can't imagine
> doing any serious text editing without it. HOWEVER, I just had to
> note that while something like visudo might force vi on you, crontab
> does not.
>
> In fact, because of some 'issues' with crontab on OS X, I've taken to

> editing my crontab files out of process. So instead of doing

'crontab
> -e', I just create a text file called $HOME/Documents/crontab and

edit
> it at my leisure with any editor I want (vi, in my case). Then, when
>
> I'm satisfied, I install it via '% crontab $HOME/Documents/crontab'
> and voila!
>
> The point being that you could use any text editor at all to edit the
> crontab file.

From man crontab:
       The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the
       editor specified  by  the  VISUAL  or EDITOR environment
       variables.  After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab
       will be installed  automatically.

Set EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano in a startup script, or use VISUAL=emacs
before the command line, and crontab will use what you ask.