Re: import t-bird(windoze) -> t-bird (linux)

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: import t-bird(windoze) -> t-bird (linux)
I just went through this exercise, but Windows-to-Windows.

I haven't gotten to the Linux side yet due to a weird
video card that doesn't work with Linux; I'll fix that
shortly.

My intention is to use the same mailbox whether I'm in
the Linux or Windows mode. I expect that part will work
fine, using the info in some of the pages that have been
posted earlier in this thread.

But the challenge for me was to pick up existing Mozilla
mailboxes and transplant them into my new WinXP Thunderbird
mailbox structure.

What finally worked for me was a piece-by-piece approach.

This may be a less sophisticated approach than others
may have used, but it worked very nicely. The only
significant trick was to create an empty "local" folder
and then to replace it with a loaded folder by the same
name, from the old location.

a. Don't forget to export your address books from the
Windows side. I put them into LDIF format, then
sucked them into Thunderbird. (I did not succeed in
transferring *raw* Mozilla address books.)

b. Using the Thunderbird GUI, I created a new
"Local Files" folder, let's call it "foo", and
left it empty. I exited Thunderbird.

c. Using system commands, I moved "foo" elsewhere
(out of caution) and replaced it with my main
mailbox folder copied out of the Mozilla area
on my old disk, by the same name. The trick
here is that Thunderbird already expected that
such a folder would exist.

d. Opened up Thunderbird, and there it was!

e. Then within Thunderbird's GUI, I copied
sub-folders of this copied section into my
active mailbox area till I had it all arranged
as I wanted it.

Done.

Vic