Re: x over putty x forwarding over ssh and the like.

Author: Jonathan Hohle
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: x over putty x forwarding over ssh and the like.
It can't open the display on your local windows machine (which needs
an x server). The easist way I've found is to install X.org through
cygwin. start the xserver using "xwin -multiwindow &" and you'll get
the X logo in the task tray. when you connect via putty, make sure
that you check "Enable X11 forwarding" in Connection>SSH>Tunnels. you
can check to see if the display was connected properly by running echo
$DISPLAY to see if the display variable has been set.

I've got this working on several different distributions and has
always worked well. let me know if i left anything out.

Jon
<><

Jon
<><