Re: Debian CDs [WAS: Re: Hey plug cd source:]

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Debian CDs [WAS: Re: Hey plug cd source:]
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:51:15 -0700
Mikey <> wrote:

> On Friday 21 January 2005 18:10, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> > Sorry, Mike. I don't handle alpha software which is what "Sid" is.  I can
> > give you testing instead.
> >
> I thought the order in stability was:
>
> stable
> unstable
> testing

Nope, it's:

stable (Woody)
testing (Sarge)
unstable (always named Sid)

Details are here:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

> > Firewall? Server? No GUI needed then.
> >
> Yes. I was thinking of a firewall.

Then why not just install a distro designed for that purpose? Smoothwall, IPcop, etc. But if you only have one main computer that you use, I'd just setup a software firewall. Many distros will do that on install or you can use Brian Hatch's "Ten Minute Firewall".[1]

Is my low-power machine capable of being a
> server?

Technically yes, but not a very good one.

If so, I suppose I don't know what a server is. What exactly is a
> server?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define+server&btnG=Google+Search

I thought it was a host for web pages.... hmmmmm..... I suppose you
> don't need much cpu time for web pages. Huh! You don't need any cpu time on
> the host machine to run web pages. WOW. Thanks for helping me to realize
> this.
>
> What would I use a server for?

Since you're on dialup, you might not see much use for a server especially if you only have one phone line. Maybe just use that old box to play with different software/distros, etc.

Cheers,

Dennisk
[1] http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20030703.html