Re: wifi trouble

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: wifi trouble
Mike Hoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my netgear ma401 802.11b PCMCIA wifi card working.
>
> it worked under slackware. I'm confused if this is a orinoco chipset or
> prism
>
> here is what's confusing me:
>
> dmesg:
> [most of it snipped just pasting the part relevant to this card]
> cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
> orinoco 0.13e (David Gibson <>, Pavel Roskin
> <>, et al)
> orinoco_cs 0.13e (David Gibson <>, Pavel
> Roskin <>, et al)
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth1
> eth1: Station identity 001f:0006:0001:0003
> eth1: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 1.3.6
> eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
> eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
> eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
> eth1: MAC address 00:09:5B:23:3B:D6
> eth1: Station name "Prism I"
> eth1: ready
> eth1: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
>

> at the top of the message it shows orinoco 0.13...
> and at the bottom it calls eth1: Station name "Prism I"
>
> Anyone know what this means?
>
> When I put the card in and try to use KWIFI manager it shows a picture
> of the pcmcia card with a ? question mark going thru it as if it is
> unrecognized. of course i do not connect. Also it just occurred to me
> that I juse gnome and this is a KDE utility. should i be using something
> else when in Gnome for wifi management. in any case ifconfig shows i'm
> not connected.
>

> mike hoy

I'm not sure for PCMCIA cards, but I think that the lspci command will
show you what you have. Check the man page for various options.

Some PCMCIA cards (if not all) are actually pci devices, as opposed to
ISA. I don't understand how/why that is. Maybe someone on the list can
explain how linux sees them.

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;