Living with Linux [WAS: Re: Advice requested}

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Living with Linux [WAS: Re: Advice requested}
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:44:51 -0700 (MST)
"der.hans" <> wrote:

> While CLI is awesome, it is not the only way to run GNU/Linux. I've
> been GNU/Linux only on the desktop since 1996 or 1997. That includes my
> laptops.
>
> Works great :).
>
> There are some issues with hardware support, so you have to be careful
> what hardware you get. Otherwise it works wonderfully for me.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --

Time to give this topic a meaningful subject line. <g>

Mike, The ancient Chinese proverb "Slay only one dragon at a time" applies to Linux. As long as the important things (network, video, sound) work on your computer under Linux. You're off to a good start.

I found that my patience and study have been rewarded by reducing the number of things that need fixing.

Of course, if you've got a "show-stopper" issue you may need to wait things out until it's included in Linux.

If I remember right your original question was about sound not being shared between applications. I seem to remember that esound having something to do with this. Ah, yes. Here is the description:

"EsounD, the Enlightened Sound Daemon, is a server process that mixes
several audio streams for playback by a single audio device. For
example, if you're listening to music on a CD and you receive a
sound-related event from ICQ, the two applications won't have to
jockey for the use of your sound card. Install esound if you'd like
to let sound applications share your audio device."

Hope that helps,

Dennisk