Re: OT dhcp leases

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT dhcp leases
On Wednesday 19 January 2005 11:19 am, Charlie Bullen wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea as to how long DHCP leases are on cox and Qwest
> DSL?
>
> The purpose of this is to determine if it is feasable to use some sort
> of remote access, most likely ssh with port forwarding, without paying
> extra for a static IP address.

I think the Cox.net lease is 24 hours. HOWEVER, keep in mind that leases only
mean anything if your computer is off. So, if your system stays on all the
time, then when it comes time to renew the lease, it will get the same one
again (almost always). The only time you would get a new one is if your
system isn't up when the lease expires and the Cox DHCP server gives it to
somebody else.

I've had the same dynamic IP from cox for well over a year now.

Not that it would matter if it changed, though. I am using DynDNS so if it
does change, the DNS entry will also change and I can still continue
connecting with the same ol' domain name.

http://www.dyndns.org

Kurt