Stupid SuSE (I hate SysAdmin work)

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Stupid SuSE (I hate SysAdmin work)
Some time ago (about RH 7.0) I had intolerable problems with a Red Hat
release. I tried Debian and never really got it to work, and I tried SuSE.
At the time (SuSE 6.x or 7.x) SuSE worked fine for me.

I have come to regret that choice. So much comes in RPMs, but for Red Hat and
Fedora. On rare occasions things come as *.deb for Debian and its
derivatives. It can be a real challenge to find SuSE RPMs, so when I REALLY
want something, I usually just get the tarball, then chase dependencies and
tarballs until the @#$% system administration project works or I give up.

(Why don't I change? Maybe I should. My home directory is mapped to a
different physical drive than the system software. Of course, I have a spare
drive, maybe at the next installfest...?)

Anyway, for some unfathomable reason SuSE saw fit to distribute 9.1 pro
without the Debian dselect, dpkg, apt tool chain. I'd like to add Debian
package functionality to my system, but that leads to a real chicken-egg
problem.

The Debian web site is a mess (at least in English), the search is turned off
(and has been pretty much every time I visit the site), and I am not certain
what tarballs (if any) I want for bootstrapping my my machine into *.deb
competence. (I am also not certain there is a point. However, at one point
there was some sort of standard for the location of files in Linux and I
remember reading that both Debian and SuSE were much better at following the
standard than Red Hat.)