Seeking donations for non-profit

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: LTSP? (Was: Seeking donations for non-profit)
Subject: Seeking donations for non-profit
As I discussed recently, a non-profit agency in Mesa received some low-power
computers and is seeking to put them to use. The conclusion to this point is
that they want to use an LTSP setup and use the low-power computers as
terminals. A receipt from the agency would be provided to the donating
entity for tax deduction purposes.

The setup would consist of 3-4 terminals with a server running K12LSTP. Items
needed are:

- - A server:
- -- >=1GHz processor
- -- 768MB RAM (more is better, less is OK as long as expansion is possible)
- -- 2, 100MB NICs

- - A 100MB switch
- -- 8-ports would be a good minimum, 4-ports would be tight

- - 4, 100MB PCI NICs for each of the terminals

If the server does not have NICs, 2 more donations would be nice to fill that
need.

If you have any of these items you would like to donate to a non-profit
employment service agency, please let me know *off list.* They would like to
proceed with the installation in a week, if they get enough equipment
donated. There is a small budget for some of the less expensive items, it is
the server cost they are worried about. (Of course that is also the most
expensive item for any donor too.)

BTW, this will be their first installation of Linux. Firefox press and
OpenOffice.org suite experience helped them seriously consider it. I am
excited to help make it happen.

Thanks for any consideration.

Alan