Advice requested

Author: mike hoy
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Advice requested
Pluggers,

I have a compaq r3000 presario P4 laptop with 512 mb of ram shared to
the ATI radeon video card.
I can't play dvd's. My error: Too Many Video Packets in the buffer. The
sound shuts off and the movie keeps playing.
The sound doesn't work right. It can't work with more than one
application. Ex: gaim and mplayer can't use the sound card at the same time.

Rather than try to fix this problem I would like to know if I ought to
trade this compaq for a more linux friendly laptop or should I just
sell it and then buy a used laptop known to work well with linux?

Anybody here have a slightly older laptop and may want to trade for this
p4 2.8 ghz machine?
or should i just stick it on ebay and be done with it?

I'm at my wits end with this thing. Windows is the only thing that works
right on it. And that flat out pisses me off.

Just in case you're wondering why I bought this thing I bought it before
I ever really became involved with linux. Up til then I was only using
windoze at home. Had I just researched... oh live and learn.

Mike Hoy