Re: 1st question - installing java on Mandrake

Author: Jerry Davis
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: 1st question - installing java on Mandrake
On Sunday 16 January 2005 09:50 pm, Michael wrote:
> Click on the file Firefox-Installer, it will install firefox.
> As far as rpm's go, once you download the rpm that you need, you will
> open the Mandrake version of Install/Remove software and direct the
> program to your file. I have not used Mandrake in years but I thought it
> was called HardDrake

its called rpmdrake.
you can get to a lot of things as root, by typing mcc (for mandrake control
center). mcc will call rpmdrake to do "package management".

for downloaded rpm's it is just as easy to do it with the cmd line (as root).
rpm -i somepackage.rpm

as for having java in your PATH, PATH is an environment variable, which has a
list of paths separated by colon's.

to put it into your system path, you can put any path segments into your
system profile, which will get set as your system boots up, making it
available for everyone when logging in. this file is located in /etc and is
called profile

so:
1) get into a terminal
2) su to root
3) use your favorite editor to edit /etc/profile
4) down at the bottom of the file, just before the line that does the "unset
i" put your path lines in there

for instance, I installed firefox in /usr/local and the java j2re 1.3.1
in /usr/local, so my path lines look like this:
PATH=/usr/local/firefox-installer:$PATH
PATH=/usr/local/j2re1.3.1/bin:$PATH

export PATH

You need to do something similar in your /etc/profile.

The next time you boot up, everything is in your path. And yes it will work in
konqueror.

Jerry

> D - wrote:
> >Thanks for telling me about RPMfind. However I don't
> >really understand what RPM is or where I can get it or
> >how to install it. If you could explain that it would
> >be great.
> >So anyways I tried installing java once again and for
> >some reason it extracted all of the files, so that's
> >done. However I read that it works on Mozilla and I
> >am running Konqueror. I dled Mozilla but can't figure
> >how to install it and there is no readme. It's in the
> >form of tar.gz. In there there's a file called
> >Firefox installer but I don't know what to do with it.
> >Also, I'm trying to run a clone of the game
> >Colonization. It says I have to use java and that it
> >has to be in my PATH, I have no idea what that means
> >or how to do it.
> >I know this is lengthy but any help you can give is
> >appreciated.
> >
> >rob0t163
> >
> >--- Richard Whitney <> wrote:
> >>
> >>get

> >>running

> >>for

> >>legal

> >>it

> >>Do you know about http://rpmfind.net
> >>
> >>You can find a lot of packages for specific Redhat
> >>based distros
> >>
> >>R. Whitney
> >>Transcend Development
> >>"Producing the next phase of your internet presence"
> >>http://xend.net
> >>Premium Quality Web Hosting
> >>http://xendhosting.com
> >>rw AT xend.net
> >>Net Binder http://netbinder.net
> >>310-943-6498
> >>602-288-5340

Registered Linux User: 275424
Today's Fortune: The nation that controls magnetism controls the universe.
        -- Chester Gould/Dick Tracy