Re: Can an installation "deteriorate" over time?

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Can an installation "deteriorate" over time?
On Saturday 15 January 2005 07:25 pm, Entelin kindly wrote:

> This is a hardware problem, if you are using the play button on the cd
> drive and even that doesnt work... that drive play button functionality
> is soley hardware. It has nothing do do with the OS in nearly any way.

I think I'll disconnect my CDROM completely, and put the audio cable into the
CDRW and see if that works as my only CD drive.

> > > Can you still browse the web when this happens?
> >
> > Yes, and I can receive mail, too. But when SMTP gets corrupted or
> > whatever it is, I have to remove all my mail in the Outbox que, and
> > toggle the default SMTP account to get it to work again. Then both
> > accounts work again.
>
> Are you on dialup? One thing that comes to mind is perhaps you were
> trying to send a very large attachment and exeeding the timeout period
> for your isp's smtp server. At any rate I have never personally been a
> fan of the kde base apps, you could try evolution, personaly I have
> never had any real issue with it, others have, your milage may vary.
> However there are tons of mail user agents out there.

I didn't try to send any attachments. Maybe I'll try Sylpheed again.

> I have never seen any distro deteriorate as m$ systems are so famous for
> doing. And especially not slackware, its about the least technicaly
> complex linux distros out there. However fortunately linux gives you the
> power to choose, and I would suggest looking for alternatives to
> software which does not work well for you. Personaly KDE in general has
> given me problems (every distro I have used), it seems rather flaky
> dispite all the prase it gets. Metacity/Gnome is pretty damn flaky too
> as a desktop (nautilus is very unstable). So my personal choice is
> windowmaker, or another utterly simple windowmanager.

> However, Slackware also does not do anything for you, so unless you want
> to learn continually about the inner workings of linux (thats specificly
> why I used it several years ago) I would suggest redhat, mandrake, or
> suse. This will help prevent percieved deterioation.

Mepis is the only distro I've liked as well as I like Slack. I'm considering
switching because it's easier to update. Every time I try to update Slack I
break things.

Thanks.

Siri Amrit