Re: firefox vs mozilla

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: firefox vs mozilla
> Basically with Firefox, you get a browser optimized for browsing—and
> only browsing—"out of the box".
>
> I don't know what the Mozilla Suite is like now, but at the time Firefox
> rose to prominence it had a clunky interface. It also wasn't set up by
> default to be user friendly. For example, there was pop-up blocking, but
> it wasn't enabled by default. And of course, it came with Composer, an
> E-Mail client, a Calendar tool and maybe more.

Calendar was an addon that you had to install.

> At one point the suite was going to be trashed entirely, but some
> controversy ensued and it's still around as a result. I'm sure a lot of
> issues that prompted the development of Firefox have been resolved.
> That's irrelevant now, because Firefox is the face of Mozilla and it
> wouldn't make sense to confuse users by promoting Mozilla.

Nothing wrong with promoting Mozilla since it also comes from the Mozilla
Foundation.

> One reason I hated the Mozilla Suite (and Netscape Communicator) is one
> could hit the wrong shortcut key or wrong menu item and end up waiting
> for Composer to load so you can edit a page you were surfing. That alone
> was enough to drive me from it. :)

I haven't run into issues like that and I use the keyboard shortcuts all the
time, heheh. I have Firefox on my secondary systems since I just need a browser
on them, but have stuck with Mozilla on my main system because of issues I've
had with the replacement mail client, ThunderBird. Namely it won't import the
Mozilla settings and mail from my Mozilla install and I don't want to manually
rebuild everything I have setup in Mozilla again in ThunderBird (e.g. sorting
rules, spam filters, server configurations, etc...).