Re: screen resolution - was radeon x300

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: screen resolution - was radeon x300
Am 11. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Joe and Colleen Huber so:

> > Am 09. Jan, 2005 schw=E4tzte Joe and Colleen Huber so:
> >
> > Try adding the following to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the 'screen' section.
> >
> > You should already have some of those lines, so just add the ones that are
> > missing :).
> >
> > ###
> >         # DefaultDepth    24
> >         SubSection "Display"
> >                 Depth           1
> >                 Modes           "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> >         EndSubSection

> ...snip...
>
> Might be on to something... what I had been doing was adding the modes to
> XF86Config-4, restarting X (ctl-alt-backspace) and then applications >
> desktop preferences > screen resolution then picking a different resolution.
> Clicking "apply" results in X more or less loosing its mind (or something
> related to horizontial and vertical hold). I was overlooking the fact that
> after the restart it came back with the 1st resolution. This is Gnome... It
> seems to ignore 1152x864 (1280x1024 is getting a bit small... 17-inch
> monitor). Having to edit the config file and bounce X seems a bit much...
> :-) dpkg-reconfigure doesn't seem to result in "new" resolutions getting put
> into the config file...

Yeah, resolutions don't get added anymore. They're supposed to just work,
but I find they don't always just work.

> > You might also need to specify the DefaultDepth parameter. Just uncomment
> > ( remove the # at the front ) that line to activate it. Each of the
> > 'Depth' lines are valid, so reduce from 24 if you need.
> >
> > What driver do you have specified in the 'Device' section?
>
> vesa

There are ATI specific drivers. When you start X it'll leave logs in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log[1]. When you run 'X -configure' it'll also leave
logs, but it tries all of the driver modules. At that point you can see if
any specifically list your video card.

There's a driver for ATI and I think there's another one specifically for
Radeon.

vesa should work as well, but you won't get any hardware acceleration.

[1] It's XFree86.<display_number>.log, but the default display_number is
0.

> > Are you running with a 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel?
>
> 2.6.8

Make sure your pointer in XF86Config-4 is set to /dev/input/mice rather
than /dev/mouse or whatever.

> > Once again, especially since X is somewhat working, I suggest making a
> > copy of the current configuration file before changing it. You might
> > consider checking it in with RCS, so you can track changes over time and
> > pull out old copies.
>
> Ah... RCS. How do you "quit" without "doing anything?" A couple times in

<ctrl>-c

> editing it (XF86Config-4)... I've been using vi... I should really spend 15
> minutes learning how to get around with something else but I have a bad
> habit of not wanting to drop 1 thing to go spend some amount of time
> figuring something else out on the way to resolving the 1st problem (bad
> long-term strategy - I know). Anyway... "c" key is next to the "v" key and
> once or twice I've typed "ci" rather than "vi"... My expectation is that it
> would store the file in a library "somewhere else" but it ends up leaving a
> (modified) XF86Config-4,v behind and I'm thinking that (technically) that
> shouldn't be "messed with."

As listed in my guide, RCS will drop revision history files in an RCS dir
if it exists. If it doesn't, then they will be dropped in the current
directory :).

ciao,

der.hans

> > Check out my guide to RCS if you're not familiar with the tool.
> >
> > https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/
> >
> > apt-get install rcs # :)
> >
> > ciao,
> >
> > der.hans

#  History is nothing but a collection of fables and useless trifles,
#  cluttered up with a mass of unnecessary figures and proper names.
#  -- Leo Tolstoy