Re: screen resolution - was radeon x300

Author: Joe and Colleen Huber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: screen resolution - was radeon x300
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:30:51 -0700 (MST)
> From: "der.hans" <>
> Subject: Re: screen resolution - was radeon x300
> Am 09. Jan, 2005 schw=E4tzte Joe and Colleen Huber so:
>
> Try adding the following to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the 'screen' section.
>
> You should already have some of those lines, so just add the ones that are
> missing :).
>
> ###
>         # DefaultDepth    24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth           1
>                 Modes           "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection

...snip...

Might be on to something... what I had been doing was adding the modes to
XF86Config-4, restarting X (ctl-alt-backspace) and then applications >
desktop preferences > screen resolution then picking a different resolution.
Clicking "apply" results in X more or less loosing its mind (or something
related to horizontial and vertical hold). I was overlooking the fact that
after the restart it came back with the 1st resolution. This is Gnome... It
seems to ignore 1152x864 (1280x1024 is getting a bit small... 17-inch
monitor). Having to edit the config file and bounce X seems a bit much...
:-) dpkg-reconfigure doesn't seem to result in "new" resolutions getting put
into the config file...

> You might also need to specify the DefaultDepth parameter. Just uncomment
> ( remove the # at the front ) that line to activate it. Each of the
> 'Depth' lines are valid, so reduce from 24 if you need.
>
> What driver do you have specified in the 'Device' section?

vesa

> Are you running with a 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel?

2.6.8

> Once again, especially since X is somewhat working, I suggest making a
> copy of the current configuration file before changing it. You might
> consider checking it in with RCS, so you can track changes over time and
> pull out old copies.

Ah... RCS. How do you "quit" without "doing anything?" A couple times in
editing it (XF86Config-4)... I've been using vi... I should really spend 15
minutes learning how to get around with something else but I have a bad
habit of not wanting to drop 1 thing to go spend some amount of time
figuring something else out on the way to resolving the 1st problem (bad
long-term strategy - I know). Anyway... "c" key is next to the "v" key and
once or twice I've typed "ci" rather than "vi"... My expectation is that it
would store the file in a library "somewhere else" but it ends up leaving a
(modified) XF86Config-4,v behind and I'm thinking that (technically) that
shouldn't be "messed with."