Re: New list member looking for advise.

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: OT Arizona drivers
Subject: Re: New list member looking for advise.
> [I can't give any advice on jobs and housing, cuz i have neither. lol i
> live in an apartment and go to college.]

Overall, housing here is far cheaper than the US national average.

> valley of the sun? have you ever been here?oppressive sun and crazy
> drivers.

Oppressive, no... Everpresent, definitely. We get, what, 362 days of sun each year?

> but close to california.

Not sure that it matters being close to Cali, but we are close to Vegas, heheh

> and no snow.

Actually, here you have to voluntarily go find the snow. It doesn't hit us, but
if you go 30+ miles north of Phoenix you start to find it :)

> but then again i found after leaving the frozen tundra of Wisconsin I'm
> read to get back to snow and actual weather.
> it rained here off and on for the last week or so, the whole place
> freaked out. it's sad.
> but rightfully so, we are not really setup for a lot of rain.

Actually a lot of the areas are setup to deal with rain. We have large areas
that are designed to take the water from neighborhoods and hold them in basins.
Though that also tends to be where they put parks, heheh. We also have the
minor joy, at least in the Valley itself, of just two seasons a year, Spring and
Summer. If you want Fall or Winter you don't have to go far, less than 100 miles :)

> and of course driving with these people in the rain is funny. when we
> have normal weather they drive like maniacs, when the road gets wet
> suddenly it's dangerous.

Roads are dangerous because idiots can't be bothered to think farther than 1
second ahead. Wet, dry, cold, hot, doesn't matter they still drive like madmen.
Diving across lanes, puttering at 45 when flow in 75, turning left from the
right hand lane, turning right from the left hand lane, etc...

> it's been cold here this winter. but that's cold compared to the summer
> temps.

Actually it hasn't gotten as cold as it has in the past. No frost has yet to
form on my car in the early hours of the morning.

> then there was a big storm, lol, and the news media was freaking out
> about a tornado. nothing happen'd to speak of.

Media hypes everything. Seems to be the order of business for them :(

> we have illegal immigration problems.

As do all the southern states.

> we have a problem with children drowning in pools.

So does any place that has pools or bodies of water deeper than half an inch.

> we have a problem with people starting forest fires.

So does California and Colorado.

> we have crime just like any other city, but i've never been a victim
> since i've lived here.
> golf is good here, except it's an outdoor sport and the summers tough.

Go in the morning or the late afternoon. Just avoid the slots from 11am - 3pm.

> they say 'it's a dry heat' whatever it's hot!

Hot, but not muggy. Want some real pain, go to florida or D.C. You get heat
and humidity and really can't feel cool.

> they say "you're blood will thin out and you'll get used to the heat'
> i've been here 13 years and i still hate the heat.
> altho many ppl have no problems with the heat. maybe i complain too much.

I was used to the heat my first summer here. Which happened to be the record
setting summer for AZ.

> plug is great tho and i'm sure you'll like our installfests. altho we
> haven't had one for a couple of months. cuz of the holidays.
> meetings are good too, but you need to be willing to travel to make all
> of them.

Meetings are great, if you can't make one, there is another just a few weeks
later. Monthly installfests, a developers group meeting, the Stammtisch, and
other random events fill out the month, and that is just for PLUG. We also have
ASULUG, AZPHP and others here, heheh.

> baseball is good, we won the world series in 2001
> football is ok now that we have Dennis Green.
> hockey is good when it's not on strike of course.

Sports now require even more travel than the PLUG events due to the sprawl that
is the Valley of the Sun.