securing xampp/proftpd upload probs/phpsysinfo/installfest f…

Author: mike hoy
To: plug-discuss
Subject: securing xampp/proftpd upload probs/phpsysinfo/installfest for jan??
pluggers,

since i'm new to apache and linux
to simplify things i use xampp.
    [ http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html ]
it bundles apache,mysql,php,and proftpd

question 1: how can i get proftpd to allow uploads??
    right now i would like 2 users to be able to upload.
    1 user is me, for maintenance and the other is my friend who will
need to be jailed into his own directory. he is on the system as a user.
    I want this user to be able to have his own website. so his will be
www.solodiver.net/user/*
    But right now I can log in as him or me but only download. AFAIK cox
doesn't block port 21. i'm guessing otherwise it would not even allow a
login.
    And I cannot upload either. I want my account to have full root
access. of course it doesn't allow $root to log in.

question 2: anyone have any experience w/ xampp being a security threat?

question 3: is phpsysinfo giving away too much info about my server?
don't want hackers having too much info. I did configure phpsysinfo to
not show the mountpoints.

http://www.solodiver.net/phpsysinfo-dev/index.php

question 4: we are on for january installfest? i'm jonesing for one!

thanks,

mike h