Re: AOL on Linux?

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: AOL on Linux?
On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 16:51, Carl Parrish wrote:
> My Aunt saw RevolutionOS on the BBC and now she wants me to convert her
> laptop to Linux (kewl). But she's paid for AOL a year in advanced, so
> now I'm looking to find out if you can use AOL as your ISP on Linux. She
> doesn't need to have all the client stuff she just wants to be able to
> get her email, use aim (gaim), and access the internet. She's prepared
> to move to another ISP as long as they have international phone numbers
> (anyone one know of one?). Any thoughts?

I used to use my in-laws account with knoppix a while back. Problem is,
I can't remember if they were still using AOL or had switched to
Qwest/MSN by then.

Use a knoppix CD and tinker with it. I remember the login required a
special prefix. Something like:
MSN/userlogin or AOL/userlogin
pswd

I'd try it w/o the prefix first.