Re: Funky Firewall - Engineering Request

Author: George Toft
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Funky Firewall - Engineering Request

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> George Toft wrote:
>
>> I have a problem and am wondering how the brightest Linux brains of
>> Phoenix would solve it.
>>
>> Problem:
>> A certain web site that my family enjoys will not allow multiple
>> computers from the same IP address to use the site at the same time.
>> I currently have a Linux firewall with 2 NICs - one for the Internet
>> and one for my LAN running NAT so all of my systems have the same
>> public IP address.
>>
>> Qwest allows me 4 IP addresses, and I would like to take advantage of
>> them so we can have more than one computer at the site at one time.
>

> Are these 4 *public* addresses?
>
> Just curious. How would that be hooked up?
>
> I have VDSL from Qwest, and their "gateway" box has just one RJ45 plug
> that connects to my AP/router, which gets its public IP address
> dynamically. How would/could it handle multiple public addresses?

Yes, these are public.

I have used 2 IP's at once. I have a hub between the VDSL gateway box
and my firewall. Just use DHCP and you have a new IP. The same MAC
always pulls the same IP. Funny thing is they are not always on the
same subnet, so in my case, I have two different subnets on the same
hub. Ugly. (I've done it in the past at a dot-com - not pretty, but
the hardware doesn't care.)

BTW - the guy that installed the VDSL for me told me a friend of his
with Qwest Choice Online had 7 computers hooked up with 7 IP's, but we
are only supposed to have 4 IP's.

George