screen resolution - was radeon x300

Author: Joe and Colleen Huber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: screen resolution - was radeon x300

> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 03:30:16 -0700 (MST)
> From: "der.hans" <>
> Subject: Re: ATI Radeon X300 SE
> Am 05. Jan, 2005 schw=E4tzte Joe and Colleen Huber so:
>
> > Anyone gotten an ATI Radeon X300 SE to work? The best I can seem to get

i=
> s a
> > grey screen with a "X" that moves about in response to mouse movement

aft=
> er

<<cut>>

> Kill off X and try 'X -configure'.
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> /etc/init.d/kdm stop
>
> The former is for a GNOME setup and the latter for KDE.
>
> 'X -configure' will tell you what to do. I suggest making a backup of your
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, just in case. If you don't know how to use RCS
> I suggest just tacking the date on the file to the filename.
>
> For instance:
>
> # ls -l /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3398 2004-08-09 01:30 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> # cp -p /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.09Aug2004

Have made some progress but seem to be stuck with a different problem at
this point...

The display gets "stuck" in a certain resolution. Installing the OS from
scratch then running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 will exit with the
highest resolution I select (I've had it up to1152x864 with no problem) but
then if I try and change it scrambles the screen... sort of like
un-adjusting the horizontal and vertical hold on TVs of long ago. Any
subsequent attempt to run it (refconfig) doesn't help (once that happens I
can manage to get to 800x640 where I get stuck).

I've tried adding modelines to XF86Config-4 (with values specified by an
online generator) although as of X v 4.0 they aren't suppose to be needed.
In a moment of frustration today I installed from scratch again and have a
screen resolution of 1024x768. At this point I'm afraid to mess with it (and
installing linux from scratch everytime I want to change the screen
resolution doesn't seem like a workable long term solution). Can anyone tell
me what I might be doing wrong here??

joe