Re: Newbie Mandrake Question

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Newbie Mandrake Question
On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 15:49 -0700, Brett Conrad wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Referred here by the AZPHP user group.
>
> I just installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 Community Edition. I am using KDE
> 3.2. There's a couple things about which I am unclear.
>
> Sorry if these are painfully obvious questions. I'd like to take the
> high road and do all sorts of research (I did do some, for an hour or
> two), but with the limited time I have to commit to this installation, I
> would probably just abort it altogether before I find the right answer.
>
> My ethernet card is a 3C905C-TX. Mandrake recognizes it in Harddrake,
> but on boot up it fails. Message "Bringing up interface eth0 FAILED". I
> know this card was working the last time I used the machine, when it had
> an NT 4.0 install.
>
> Also, every time I boot up the OS and log in, the mouse is disabled.
> Each time I have to reenable it in the MandrakeLinux control center.

----
Don't know anything about Mandrake but on Fedora Core 3 (and I think 2)
- 2.6.x kernels, the distribution dropped the ISA based NIC adaptors and
they had to be compiled as a module - probably too much work for a new
user - especially considering that you can get a PCI NIC for so little
money.

Don't know about the mouse - Is it a PS-2 mouse?

Craig