Re: How do I clear a terminal screen?

Author: Matt Alexander
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How do I clear a terminal screen?
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:12:22 -0700, Siri Amrit Kaur
<> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 06:25 pm, Matt Alexander kindly wrote:
> > Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> > >What command do I type to clear a screwed up terminal screen and return it
> > > to a normal prompt?
> > >
> > >I did Ctrl+Alt+F1 and was typing something, hit Enter, and lost the
> > > prompt. All I have is: " > " at the beginning of each line. Doesn't
> > > matter what I type, when I hit Enter I just go back to " > ". I read the
> > > man pages for term, tput, clear, and some others I forget.
> >
> > reset
> >
> Thanks to everybody who replied.
>
> FWIW, "reset" didn't work; I had tried it. What happened was I dropped a book
> on the keyboard and hit a bunch of keys at random. I hadn't entered a command
> at all. The cat has done it for me in the past, too. I have made the mistake
> of "grep" w/out an argument, and some other goofs as well. From now on I'll
> remember Ctrl+c or Ctrl+d. Lifesavers!

If you had a process waiting for input then Ctrl+c should kill it.
Ctrl+d would then just exit the terminal. But I've encountered
situations where the terminal was goofed up for whatever reason and I
didn't want to logout, so I would type "reset" to fix the terminal and
continue on with my work.
~M

--
Get Firefox!