Re: Software not Consumable [was Re: Free Infrastructure Sof…

Author: Bill Warner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Software not Consumable [was Re: Free Infrastructure Software (FIS)]
On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 10:54 -0700, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> I'm finding this conversation interesting, and would like to make an
> observation.
>
> der.hans wrote:
> > Am 03. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Trent Shipley so:
> >

> >>On Monday 2005-01-03 00:18, der.hans wrote:
> >>
> >><snip/>
> <snip>

> >>Ok.

> >>This is typical of all data-centric goods: information.
> >

> > Yup. We could possibly include air as a metaphor because it's generally
> > not limited. Those of us in the desert know that water is limited, though.
> >

> I've been thinking that software is different from most other products
> in that it is not consumable. This results in the lack of need for raw
> material, so I think it's related to this point, but is a different way
> of looking at this aspect. Nearly everything I can think of, when used,
> is consumed to one degree or another. A program doesn't deteriorate with
> use.
>
> As a side note, one might even argue that a program becomes more robust
> with increased use, along with active maintenance.
>
> I think that the non-consumable aspect of software is very significant,
> and am interested in what others may think about it.
>
> <snip>

Or how about this, closed source software is consumable. You typically
use it for x amount of time then pay for an upgrade, basically throwing
out the old version.

While open source software is more like a recycling ideal. Let someone,
anyone take the raw materials of out dated software and recycle it into
new updated usable software.

The only reason I wouldn't consider closed source recyclable would be
because you can't collect it out of the garbage^H^H^H^H^H^H^H/dev/tape
and create something new from it you have to buy a modifiable license
from the original owner.
--
Bill Warner <>