Re: protocol?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: protocol?
David said:
> what the current correct protocol for letting plug member know of a job
> opening are requesting resumes?
>
> yeah, I got a couple and yeah, I'm requesting.

We are quite tolerant of job postings right here in this list. There is
no real "hard and fast" policy about such things but following these
guidlines helps:

- The subject line should indicate that it is a job posting. That is so
people who aren't interested can ignore it. Use "Job:" or "Wanted:" or
some other obvious text.
- The job should be on topic, meaning it really is a Linux or FS/OSS
related job. Not something like "Windows admin needed, MS Office skills,
blah blah...oh, yea, Linux too." If someone could qualify and do the job
*without* Linux experience, it should probably not be posted to the group.
- Keep it short, like 25 lines maximum.
- The response contact path should be off the list. This should be
explictly requested in the posting. It would also be nice that any
originator to take it off the list.
- Remember that all postings to the list are public and are publicly
archived. Don't put anything in the posting (email address, mail address,
phone number, etc) that you have a problem being accessable on the web.

The guidlines above are *not* a PLUG policy statement. They are just my
personal judgement of postings we have had and recollection of some
postings that triggered some rejection by some in the group. At some time
we may need to have a separate plug-jobs list or somesuch. For now, the
quanity of such postings has not been enough to worry about.

Alan