Re: Haggling for a Motherboard

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Haggling for a Motherboard
On Tuesday 04 January 2005 08:08, you wrote:
> I think I will return my Gigabyte 7NF-RZ unopened, because it seems to
> have no track record and I've seen such strong recommendations for the
> ASUS X Series boards (and one kind of negative about Gigabyte).
>
> I've been offered an ASUS X Series locally at $89, but I see it on
> NewEgg for $53 + etc. So I assume my local "deal" isn't too good.
>
> I prefer walk-in to mail order. But if the guy offered it to me for
> $89, and I challenge him with the NewEgg price, how much can he do about
> it? I assume it is more expensive for him to carry an item in stock,
> and he has to make a living, and on the other hand I assume he has a lot
> more latitude than he wants to let on.
>
> So what's a realistic price to expect from a bricks'n'mortar operation,
> in a case like this? I just thought I'd give it a shot before going to
> NewEgg.
>
> (BTW, with the new power supply, my PC can burn CDs; but only under
> Linux, that's xcdroast on RH8.0. Windows still blue-screens when I
> stick a disk into the CD-RW drive. I will still get a new MOBO, but
> it's no longer urgent so I can wait if I need to.)
>
> Vic
>
> I believe it is not prudent to order motherboards over the internet unless
> you just don't care what you get. There is so much stuff that is inferior
> or missed on QA. These guys just sell it out the back door whether it works
> or not.
>
> Be cheap and suffer or buy something reliable that you can actually be
> assured of working decently. IMHO.
>
> As I've mentioned to this group before, I buy nothing but Intel
> manufactured motherboards and have had nothing but success!
>
> --Bill

My own 2 cents: I've had pretty good luck with motherboards I've ordered
over the internet (3 so far.) I would select a known good brand from a
reputable site and make sure there's some kind of return policy, just in
case. I like mwave.com, though I know there are a lot of people out there
who like NewEgg also. And I pretty much use nothing but AMD, primarily
because I'm cheap, but no problems with them.

Vaughn