RE: Motherboard recommendations?

Author: Michael Seidner
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Haggling for a Motherboard
Subject: RE: Motherboard recommendations?
In my business, selling systems hardware and software to my customers
for the past 20 years I have seen pretty much everything in the PC
industry. I have built systems using Intel, Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, ECS,
Tyan, etc. etc. I have had problems with all of them. Someone said in
this post they prefer Intel because of their reliability, drivers, etc.
I have seen many issues with those boards and with the higher cost and
lack of appreciable performance gain they are not the best bang for the
buck either. Unless you are working with Windows 95/98 drivers should
not be an issue. The best motherboard I had ever come across in my
experience was Micronics but they are long gone. I know that those Fry's
ECS boards are junk and any motherboard which has a fan for the chipset
should be avoided as well. I have seen very good reliability from ASUS
and MSI. Gigabyte has given me the most problems over the years. Tyan
was crap in the beginning but has improved greatly. We have a customer
with a dual Athlon Tyan board and it works great. It's all about
experience and trying out different things. Not all hardware works with
all hardware and software.

Michael Seidner
M5 Systems
602-288-8304