Opinion on high-volume Email server!

+ (text/html)
Author: Sanjay Darisi
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Opinion on high-volume Email server!

I need your opinion on spam filter and anti-virus packages for a high-volume email server. I'm inclined towards qmail. So, I need to install and setup good spam-filter and anti-virus packages, which I've no experience with so far. These should be capable of dealing with atleast 70,000 (average) emails a day. Ofcourse, most part of it is spam. I'm assuming qmail is capable of handling this. What is the maximum simultaneous smtp connections that qmail can handle anyway??

The situation now is that there is a commercial Linux based spam-filter box that is being choked by this volume of emails. And we want to replace it with one of our own. So, I'm installing qmail on debian stable and looking for high-throughput spam-filter and anti-virus s/w for our server. If anybody here has experiences with such s/w, pls let me know.

I feel that as SpamAssasin is perl based spam-filter, wouldn't that hog CPU for this kind of load. It's a PIII 1.0G, 512MB RAM IBM based e-server. I feel any C language based spam filter would do a better job, wouldn't it??

Let me know your opinion...

Thanks,
Sanjay.

http://www.TechiesAbode.com/