Re: hung moz

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: hung moz
Am 16. Dec, 2004 schwätzte Rod Heyd so:

> Is mozilla eating up all your cpu cycles too? On occaision I've seen

Nope. I started having probs with swf_play, but I think that's not
connected as the last swf_play incidence was a couple of days ago. Also, I
have no swf_play instances running.

An internal web app uses flash, so I'd installed swf_play for that. Last
week that page started spinning flash players that took the load avg up
over 60. As I say, I don't think that's related. Could be, though.

> mozilla do this, it just goes belly up and starts eating up all the
> CPU. Usually when that happens I take the extreme brute force
> approach:
>
> $ kill -9 $mozilla-bin-pid
>
> Or is that a little too drastic? ;)

Well, aside from not liking to do that I need to see if I can recapture a
few URLs from this session.

I can still open new URLs in the instance, so it might be possible to
switch tabs and go back and forth in them. I just need to know how.

> I've had to resort to this a little more frequently than I would like.
> However, I'm not convinced the problem is mozilla. Sometimes it
> seems that X gets itself into a snit (although I think mozilla tickles
> the bug), and I think it may very well be the nvidia drivers. I've
> found that while the closed source drivers from nvidia are much
> faster, the opensource non-3d accel. opensource drivers tend to be a
> lot more stable.

Yeah, it might be X, but the rest of the environment is fine. I can even
max and min the warning popup.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:06:10 -0700 (MST), der.hans <> wrote:
> > moin, moin,
> >
> > while looking up a non-existent domain Mozilla issued a popup warning
> > "$domain could not be found. Please check the name and try again."
> >
> > The popup has an OK button that appears to depress when clicked, but
> > doesn't go away and Mozilla no longer responds. Using the kill button in
> > the window decoration doesn't work either.
> >
> > Anyone know how to figure out where Mozilla is hung and get around it?
> >
> > ciao,
> >
> > der.hans
> > --
> > #  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.AZOTO.org/
> > # To us former windows users, linux IS an easter egg :) I cant remember
> > # how many times i said to myself "i can do that?" -- BoBB

#  The only way for a woman to change a man
#  is if he's wearing Depends[TM] - der.hans