Re: SSH + Gnome = slowness

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SSH + Gnome = slowness
On Tuesday 14 December 2004 11:02 am, Kevin wrote:
> So, now I forward 65110/tcp instead of 111/tcp and I have speedy
> goodness again (relatively speaking - it's gnome after all <wink>).

FWIW, if you want speedy goodness with Gnome even speaking absolutely, you
might want to try out NX. NX has all the encryption goodness of SSH but with
phenomenally better compression. Even over a somewhat slow(ish) VPN
connection, KDE and Gnome apps feel *almost* as fast as if they were running
locally.

It's worth doing even if you aren't running an entire desktop now that the
tunneling part can be done separately. Very very slick.

http://www.nomachine.com for the commercial version

FreeNX is the free version but it's not as easy to find. Here's a link to
some RPMS (plus setup guide) for Fedora users:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

Kurt