Re: SSH + Gnome = slowness

Author: Kevin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SSH + Gnome = slowness
On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:33, Kevin wrote:
> gnome-2.6 becomes unusable (>2 minute delays to open gedit or
> nautilus) when my SSH tunnels are up. No problems when SSH is
> shutdown.

Through process of elimination, I determined that gnome does not like
port 111/tcp being forwarded on this box.

# grep 111 /etc/services
sunrpc          111/tcp         portmapper      # RPC 4.0 portmapper TCP
sunrpc          111/udp         portmapper      # RPC 4.0 portmapper UDP

So, now I forward 65110/tcp instead of 111/tcp and I have speedy
goodness again (relatively speaking - it's gnome after all <wink>).

...Kevin