Re: SATA vs UATA vs ...?

Author: George Toft
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SATA vs UATA vs ...?
I installed 2 80GB SATA drives on my workstation. Debian 3.0 installed
no problem. Long story short - I installed SuSE 9.0, then Fedora Core 3
(Test1). They all worked with the SATA drive, but represented it
differently - weird.

SuSE saw the drives as "normal" ATA drives - /dev/hda and /dev/hdc.

Fedora Core 3 sees them as SCSI drives - /dev/sda and /dev/sdc. Ok,
I'll go with that. Unfortunately, all the ATA utilities I am used to
using don't work right. I can work with that, too.

Then came the time I started really using the machine - lots of disk IO.
Lots of hard disk errors. Lots of kernel lockups (the kernel doesn't
like it when the filesystem / swap suddenly disappears). Turns out one
part of the drive circuit board gets really hot under extended IO. I
had to go buy hard drive coolers and temperature monitors for the
drives. Keep in mind my case has 4 fans in front of the drives already.

Personally, I think SATA sux.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
AGD,LLC
www.agdllc.com