Re: SATA vs UATA vs ...?

Author: Rudolfo Munguia
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SATA vs UATA vs ...?
A rather popular mis-conception that really needs to be dismissed
A.S.A.P. is that SATA is superior to ATA.

It is not.

The reasons originally quoted by most manufacturers in the industry
around 5-6 years ago when SATA was originally Developed:

Cost

ATA consumes more real-estate from both the semiconductor and
motherboard perspective due to its complexity and the size of the
physical bus connections (more pins required for the connection)

Complexity

As ATA Bus speeds increase, the mechanisms to keep the timing correct
across data channels becomes increasingly harder to engineer,
increasing the cost of engineering and the size of the chips- i.e.
more real-estate would be needed

Power

The primary power consumption from a drive isn't it's motor, that only
consumes a few watts to maintain it's momentum - especially as drive
platters have decreased in mass over time. The ATA chipset, cache, and
the armature for moving the heads consume the most power. And as the
Bus speed increases so would their power draw.

SATA was supposed to save motherboard space from both the chipset and
connector size( saving cost ); lower the level of engineering required
(saving cost ); and lower the power consumption (saving cost).

All of these only benefit the Manufacturers cost of production, not
the consumer, as most people who have moved to SATA can attest to
generally higher cost.

The only reasons being quoted as a consumer benefit from the
technology back in the begining was "ease of installation" and "cost
reduction".

There was never any talk of it being better than ATA. In fact there
was a particularly fun comment from one analyst about how " this is
really just a move to fewer wires " and that " there is some doubt as
to whether SATA will scale to higher speeds than ATA "

You can probably still find the articles about this in the EETimes archives.