Cisco uBR904 and serial cabling questions

Author: Scott Denlinger
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Cisco uBR904 and serial cabling questions
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a console management cable for my Cisco uBR904 cable modem,
since it didn't come with one when I bought it on eBay, and I'm wondering if
anyone can help me with the pin-outs. It's a serial cable with RJ-45 on the
modem end, and DE-9 on the computer end.

In general I know you need to cross the TX and RECEIVE pins for serial
connections, but do you need to do the same for DTR and DSR? Or does DSR on the
cable modem connect to DSR on the computer's serial port, and DTR go to DTR?
Should my pinouts go like this

modem     computer
TX   ---> REC
REC  ---> TX
DTR  ---> DTR
DSR  ---> DSR

or like this?

modem     computer
TX  --->  REC
REC --->  TX
DTR --->  DSR
DSR --->  DTR

(note that I'm not necessarily indicating signal direction in the above, just
connections)

And perhaps a more general question: can I get this modem to work with Cox
Internet service using just the factory defaults, or is there some specific way
I need to configure the Cisco IOS for the modem to work. I bought it before I
realized it wasn't on Cox's "supported modems" list, and perhaps there's a
reason for that, but I'd like to solve the challenge of trying to get this to
work. Based on my limited reading on this, it seems that Cox sends down a
configuration file to whatever cable modem you've got hooked up, which doesn't
match up with whatever specs the uBR904 is set for. (You can tell I have a lot
to learn about all this!) I've Googled for the appropriate settings, but
haven't had any luck finding useful info., so pointers to useful URLs or
newsgroups would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

Scott Denlinger