Re: pcTV card work with Cox digital cable?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: pcTV card work with Cox digital cable?
On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 16:41 -0700, Michael F. March wrote:

> > Argh...top posted replies...
> >
> > That wasn't my read on the information from their web site. If I thought
> > it were possible, I would jump all over it. I have cox HD and I
> > previously set up a box with mythtv.
> >
> > These questions are probably better answered on mythtv.org list.
>
> I asked this list, specifically, because it seems that
> the issue is a cable system depended. According to the list,
> some cable providers encrypted 0% of their streams, some
> 40%, some 90% and then some 100%. Someone on the list, I recall,
> asked about Cox and there was silence on the issue.
>
> I am going to take the plunge and try it.. I'll report back to
> this list if anyone is interested.

----
be my guest and I'll be interested - it isn't that expensive but things
that bothered me...

<http://www.pchdtv.com/> - click the FAQ button

Will the HD-2000 card work with cable TV?
No, The card is only for terrestrial broadcasts. Cable and Satellite
reception are not supported.

Can I use this card with satellite or Direct-TV?
No, this card is for use with local (Terrestrial) broadcast TV and HDTV.

Even worse...
How does cpu speed affect video quality?
Decoding of HD streams requires more cpu power than decoding DVD streams
because of the higher resolutions. If the cpu can not keep up, frames
are dropped and motion does not appear smooth . With slower cpus we
recommend video cards that support hardware accelerated mpeg decoding
and the XvMC interface. Currently nVidia supports this in some of their
video cards such as the MX series and FX4200 cards. Better deinterlacing
can also be done on higher performance machines. We recommend systems
with greater than 2.4GHz cpus to provide the greatest flexibility in the
choice of video cards, deinterlacing algorithms and players with HD
video streams.

I would presume that the signals coming from Cox cable are already mpeg
encoded - this card would then seek to 'decode' them and it doesn't have
the codecs to compress the video again which would suck up the energy of
the processor.

Craig