RE: VoIP

Author: Brian
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: VoIP

Jared, Can you be more specific? Are you for a solution to allow you to use
your home PSTN (analog) telephone line from your laptop? Or do you want to
use a VoIP termination provider from your laptop?

If it's the former, as others have mentioned, an Asterisk server
(http://www.asterisk.org) with a X100P FXO interface card from
http://www.digium.com and a SoftPhone such as xPro or eyebeam from
http://www.xten.com running on your laptop with a headset will allow you to
do that.

However, if all you want to do is use your analog phone line cordlessly,
it'd really be far simpler to just get a 5.8 GHz cordless phone...

But, if you want to do stuff such as multiple voicemail boxes, have your
voicemail emailed to you, using a VoIP provider for termination, Find Me
Follow Me (give callers one number which goes to Asterisk, and it then rings
all your phones), Interactive Voice Response menus with Text-to-Speech,
Black Listing calls by CallerID Number, and more! (whew), then you might
want to look into Asterisk.

--Brian