Re: Which modem?

Author: Ric Fischer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Which modem?
Hi Joe,

Joe and Colleen Huber wrote:
> I was talking to Cox earlier today about high speed. They said I can go with
> their cable modem ($60) or I can get my own ($40 to whatever). Is the one
> they provide good/bad/can go either way (I didn't think to ask about
> make/model). Any recommendations - go with what they provide or get my own?
> I'm not sure what to look for or to what extent it makes a difference.

I've been a long-time Cox internet user (first Cox@Home and now Cox
HSI). It doesn't make a whole lot of difference which way you go with
the modem, so I suggest getting whatever's on sale. My cable modem is
a Toshiba that I bought at Fry's a couple years back.

> My understanding is that the coaxial coming in the house goes in one end and
> a coaxial (possibly) comes out the other end going to the TV along with an
> eithernet cable which goes into the PC ??

No. The cable modem has a coaxial 'input' and, usually, one Ethernet
RJ-45 and one USB 'output'.

If your house has previously had Cox cable, then you have a
'distribution' box somewhere on the side of your house. That box has
one line coming in from the ground or the air (usually ground). The
box contains contains a splitter. Generally, there are enough lines
coming 'out' of the splitter for each TV you want on Cox. When you
order Cox HSI, they will modify the box contents so that one extra
line is a data line and has an appropriate filter to prevent unwanted
and unecessary travel for your data. The TV lines will be protected
from getting the data. Your new data line will be dropped where you
want it in the house. So, make sure you pick a convenient place.

I suggest you think about the drop location carefully. I'm in a six
computer household. All machines wirelessly connect to the internet.
When we bought our new house last year, we had the Cox guy drop the
data line in the ceiling of our pantry. We hooked up our cable modem
and wireless router up there and everything's been peachy. If you're
going wireless, think of the eyesore it (the bundle of cable modem,
router, coax cable, ethernet cable, and power cords) can usually be
and think about the fact that it's a hands-off setup, so you can put
it anywhere. Just make sure you've got power there, too. (We had an
electrician come in and add an outlet to the ceiling of the pantry,
too.)

--
Ric Fischer