Re: Which modem?

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Which modem?
Joe and Colleen Huber wrote:
> I was talking to Cox earlier today about high speed. They said I can go with
> their cable modem ($60) or I can get my own ($40 to whatever). Is the one
> they provide good/bad/can go either way (I didn't think to ask about
> make/model). Any recommendations - go with what they provide or get my own?
> I'm not sure what to look for or to what extent it makes a difference.

I guess it depends on what they're going to give you for a modem. My Motorola
surfboard seems to work okay. That is what they gave me to use as a
replacement about 3 months ago, so they may be still using those.

> My understanding is that the coaxial coming in the house goes in one end and
> a coaxial (possibly) comes out the other end going to the TV along with an
> eithernet cable which goes into the PC ??

Almost. Cable line in, ethernet out to your firewall/router.
The feed to your TV comes out of a splitter before the cable modem.

- --
Kevino

AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
    If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
    across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.